M&E contractor training...
Install of smoke control and AOV systems
Many electrical contractors have attempted to self-install commercial smoke control and automatic opening ventilator (AOV) systems, but because they were not properly prepared they didn’t enjoy the experience. Easivent hosts a variety of training courses which demonstrate the benefits and ease of self-installation of smoke control & ventilation systems.
Module unit 1: Fundamentals of smoke control systems for common areas of flats
Duration: 1/2 day
This course is aimed at electrical contractors and other trade specialists looking to self-install smoke control systems. It provides an understanding of legislation and standards relating to smoke control systems along with the basic fire safety provisions in apartment buildings.
• Understanding the need for smoke control systems
• Firefighting facilities in large/tall buildings
• Legislation related to fire safety and smoke control systems
• Common Approaches to smoke control
The learner will have an understanding of legislation and standards that relate to smoke control systems along with the basic principles of fire and fire behavior.
Note: M1 Fundamentals is a prerequisite for all other Easivent training courses
Module unit 2: Design to Approved Document B
Duration: 2 days
This course provides understanding of the design process of smoke control systems to ADB of Building Regulations. Before enrolling in this course, you must have completed Module 1, the fundamental course in smoke control.
• Objectives of smoke control systems.
• Overview of common approaches
• Code compliant systems, automatic opening ventilators (AOV) and natural smoke shafts (BRE Shaft)
• Pressurisation Systems
• Fire engineered systems, mechanical smoke shafts
• Computational fluid dynamic modelling
• Power supplies
• System selection
• Documentation and approval process
The learner will have an understanding of the design process of smoke control and be able to appropriately select systems for apartment buildings.
Module unit 3: Installation to ADB of Building Regulations
Duration: 1 day
This course provides an understanding of the installation process of smoke control systems for apartment buildings. Before joining the Unit 3 course you must have completed the Unit 1 course, which covers the fundamentals of smoke control systems.
• Typical control system installation
• Ventilator/damper systems
• Roof ventilator installation
• Fan skid mounting
• Cable and containment systems
• Sensor and switch positioning
• System Test routines and records
The learner will have an understanding of the installation process of smoke control systems for apartment buildings.
Module unit 4: Commissioning to ADB of Building Regulations
Duration: 1/2 day
This module provides an understanding of the commissioning process of smoke control systems for apartment buildings. Prior to joining the commissioning module you must have completed the Unit 1 that covers the fundamentals of smoke control systems
• Understand the requirements of commissioning
• Understand the documents required for handover
• Commission and test a range of systems
• Complete a commissioning certificate
The learner will obtain an understanding of the commissioning process, for non-domestic premises, of smoke control systems to section 5 of BS 5839-1:2013.
Building on the knowledge from Module 1, learners will gain a greater understanding of how to commission smoke control systems using design criteria, drawings and culminating in the production of a commissioning certification.